Check In and Chat Plus Volunteers
This activity provides a regular check-in by telephone.
What do Check In and Chat Plus Volunteers do?
In this activity you’ll be contacting and having a regular chat over the phone with a diverse range of individuals who have been identified as particularly vulnerable. You’ll be offering a friendly voice and a listening ear to those who may be experiencing loneliness or have no one to talk to.
Telephone support is a positive step to engage with people who may have little or no contact with others and be experiencing issues with confidence, self-esteem, and loneliness.
This support will not amount to a treatment or intervention but will provide:
- Companionship – Forming a relationship of mutual support and understanding.
- Support – Pointing to resources that help with mental health first aid.
- Check-in - To help people identify activities and support that they can access.
- Listening ear - Encouraging people to talk about their experiences.
Who is eligible for Check In and Chat Plus?
A call from a volunteer may be required by someone who:
- Has been recently discharged from hospital.
- Has a health condition.
- Is experiencing social isolation and loneliness.
- Is someone with caring responsibilities.
- Is waiting for elective surgery.
Full guidance for getting you started
You can read the Getting You Started Guide to help you when carrying out Check In and Chat Plus activities.