Questions to explore the 5 steps to mental wellbeing
Here are some questions to encourage people to look after their own wellbeing. Read through these in advance and only use questions that are appropriate for the person you are speaking with.
Connect with other people
- Who else do you talk to or see?
- Where do you like to go to meet other people?
- Have you got any social clubs locally?
Be physically active
- How do you like to keep active?
- Where is your favourite place to go for a walk?
- Have you got a garden?
Learn new skills
- What are your hobbies?
- Have you thought about trying a new hobby?
- Tell me about something you would like to learn.
Give to others
- Is there someone you could call to brighten their day?
- Have you ever done any volunteering?
Pay attention to the present moment (mindfulness)
- What have you been grateful for today?
- Have you been outside today – What was the weather like?
Print entire guide
Page last reviewed: 16 November 2023