Before your first visit
- It is important to uphold the confidentiality of the person at all times. You may receive/hear personal information or details through conversations. All forms of personal information must be treated with respect and be handled in a highly confidential way.
- Volunteers are not required to enter a person’s property.
- You must always show your GoodSAM ID to the person you are supporting.
- Volunteers are required to follow the guidance. If a person is unresponsive or in distress, please call 999 as a matter of urgency and then the alarm monitoring centre. A flow chart below will guide you.
Please be aware that some people needing support may be living with the following:
- Moderate mental health support needs.
- A significant life-limiting health condition or disability.
- A type of dementia or other cognitive impairment.
- Difficulties in following a conversation or basic instructions.
This information may have been provided to you in advance of the visit but be prepared in case it is not previously known.
Print entire guide
Page last reviewed: 03 November 2023